During the past few weeks, I have had the inclination and opportunity to look more closely at economic development organizations in other communities. It is tough these days, but it is amazing what a few people in a small community can accomplish with few resources. Hickman County’s local industry is hanging tough and a few companies are hiring. Sales tax collections are doing better than a lot of places. Yet, I look at the commitment other communities make and wonder what could be done with, for example, a web presence that costs more than a donated $250 one like ours. I think that is evidence that despite the challenges, there are people motivated in rural communities with a quality of place like Hickman County that work hard for business retention and expansion and business attraction and recruitment. I hope that they will be able to persevere and reap the rewards when the economy makes its inevitable upswing.
… it’s probably here somewhere
Daryl Phillips, CEcD, EDFP
I work as an economic developer consulting with communities and companies developing locations, building communities and identifying and developing workforce. However, my opinions on this blog are free and my own, as is the blog itself.
I am a member of International Economic Development Council, Southern Economic Development Council, Tennessee Economic Development Council and International Council of Shopping Centers.
I have earned over 20 years experience in economic and workforce development. I have earned and maintain the designation of Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification from National Development Council. I have earned a Master of Business Administration from Tennessee Technological University.
- TIGER grants replaced by BUILD grants for local/regional transportation infrastructure
- Happy Economic Development Week!
- An update on Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds
- Have your quality in economic development programs recognized by your peers
- Retail Development Event for Tennessee and Kentucky
- How to ask your local government for money to promote rural tourism
- Happy Pi Day!
- 2018 IEDC Excellence in Economic Development Awards
- Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds – Another Economic Tool for Your Community?
- Successful Succession Planning for Business
- Opportunity Funds – A new resource for economic development investment
- Business resiliency and planning for disruption
- Helping businesses connect to customers online
- Have a wonderful life this holiday season!
- Small Business Saturday – Better than Black Friday and Cooler than Cyber Monday (Nov. 25th)
- 2017 Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development
- 2017 IEDC Annual Conference
- Dove hunting season or shooting for tourism growth
- Disaster and Disruption Planning for Communities and Companies
- I put a dollar in a change machine and I didn’t get it
- Workforce development for advanced manufacturing in the Cheatham County region
- Cheatham County May 2017 unemployment rate lowest in nearly 2 decades
- 2017 Tennessee Economic and Community Development Conference
- Tennessee Reconnect: Help for adults to go back to college
- How do you measure your workforce?
- The It’s a Wonderful Life EDO
- Why Invest in Economic Development
- Tennessee Rural Economic Development Conference
- A post with economic development tied to a haiku, it’s true!
- Right turn on LOCAL CITIZENS WHO SUPPORT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STREET