… it’s probably here somewhere
Daryl Phillips, CEcD, EDFP
I work as an economic developer consulting with communities and companies developing locations, building communities and identifying and developing workforce. However, my opinions on this blog are free and my own, as is the blog itself.
I am a member of International Economic Development Council, Southern Economic Development Council, Tennessee Economic Development Council and International Council of Shopping Centers.
I have earned over 20 years experience in economic and workforce development. I have earned and maintain the designation of Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification from National Development Council. I have earned a Master of Business Administration from Tennessee Technological University.
- TIGER grants replaced by BUILD grants for local/regional transportation infrastructure
- Happy Economic Development Week!
- An update on Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds
- Have your quality in economic development programs recognized by your peers
- Retail Development Event for Tennessee and Kentucky
- How to ask your local government for money to promote rural tourism
- Happy Pi Day!
- 2018 IEDC Excellence in Economic Development Awards
- Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds – Another Economic Tool for Your Community?
- Successful Succession Planning for Business
- Opportunity Funds – A new resource for economic development investment
- Business resiliency and planning for disruption
- Helping businesses connect to customers online
- Have a wonderful life this holiday season!
- Small Business Saturday – Better than Black Friday and Cooler than Cyber Monday (Nov. 25th)
- 2017 Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development
- 2017 IEDC Annual Conference
- Dove hunting season or shooting for tourism growth
- Disaster and Disruption Planning for Communities and Companies
- I put a dollar in a change machine and I didn’t get it
- Workforce development for advanced manufacturing in the Cheatham County region
- Cheatham County May 2017 unemployment rate lowest in nearly 2 decades
- 2017 Tennessee Economic and Community Development Conference
- Tennessee Reconnect: Help for adults to go back to college
- How do you measure your workforce?
- The It’s a Wonderful Life EDO
- Why Invest in Economic Development
- Tennessee Rural Economic Development Conference
- A post with economic development tied to a haiku, it’s true!
- Right turn on LOCAL CITIZENS WHO SUPPORT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STREET
Category Archives: economic development leadership
Wouldn’t it be great to have your quality in economic development programs recognized by your peers to prove your value to your stakeholders? The IEDC 2018 Excellence in Economic Development Awards application deadline quickly approaching on May 11, 2018. International … Continue reading
International Economic Development Council’s Excellence in Economic Development Awards recognize the world’s best economic development programs and partnerships, marketing materials, and the year’s most influential leaders. These 34 awards honor organizations and individuals for their efforts in creating positive change … Continue reading
I arrived in Canada on Friday to participate in the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) conference. IEDC will officially convene its 2017 Annual Conference here in Toronto, Ontario this afternoon. Around 1,300 economic development professionals from around the world have already … Continue reading
Economic development professionals, business leaders, community leaders and elected officials (including some from Cheatham County) will be attending the 64th Annual Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development on October 26th and 27th, 2017 at the Gatlinburg Convention Center … Continue reading
Economic development professionals, business leaders, community leaders and elected officials (including some from Cheatham County) will be attending the 62nd Annual Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development on October 13th and 14th, 2015 at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel in … Continue reading
International Economic Development Council (IEDC) recently released a report titled, “Incentives for the Twenty-First Century“. The report looks a economic development incentives and what they can accomplish in addition to business attraction. IEDC Board Chair JoAnn Crary, CEcD stated, “When used … Continue reading
I am looking forward to participating in the National Association of Counties (NACo) 2015 Annual Conference held in Charlotte, North Carolina on July 10-13. I will be part of a panel in a session on Sunday, July 12th called “County … Continue reading
University of Oklahoma’s prestigious Economic Development Institute (EDI) will hold a session of EDI Institute in Nashville, Tennessee May 3-7 at the Airport Marriott. This is a great way to learn more about economic development through a fully accredited course … Continue reading
I am in the Nashville International Airport waiting for a flight to Philadelphia to attend the 2013 International Economic Development Council (IEDC) Annual Conference. The IEDC Annual Conference is the world’s largest gathering of economic development professionals. As part of my … Continue reading
Tennessee has been named 7th in Area Development magazine’s “Top States for Doing Business“. Only Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina and Louisiana ranked above Tennessee as top states to do business.
Site Selection magazine has named our Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) to its Top Utilities in Economic Development for 2013. Site Selection used the following mix of objective and subjective criteria to select its top utilities: “Analysis of corporate end-user project … Continue reading
Economic development professionals, business leaders, community leaders and elected officials will be attending the 60th Annual Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development on October 3rd and 4th, 2013 at the newly completed Music City Center just a few … Continue reading
Economic development professionals, business leaders, community leaders and elected officials will be attending the 60th Annual Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development on October 3rd and 4th, 2013 at the newly completed Music City Center in downtown Nashville. … Continue reading
Local Economic Development Professional is One of the First Graduates of TVA’s Professional Rural Leadership Institute
Daryl Phillips, Executive Director of Hickman County Economic & Community Development Association, Inc. in Centerville, Tennessee recently graduated from TVA’s Rural Leadership Institute. The Rural Leadership Institute, developed and sponsored by TVA Economic Development, provides professional leadership training to rural … Continue reading
Governor Haslam speaks about his jobs creation legislative package, visits to Chattanooga and Memphis and future regional economic development focus. Tennessee Department of Economic & Community Development Commissioner Bill Hagerty comments on leveraging recent economic development successes to bring future … Continue reading
The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) was recently named as one of the top ten utilities in North America for economic development. Site Selection magazine in its September edition published its top ten utilities of the year in the article, “A … Continue reading
Especially for counties with extremely tight marketing budgets, any kind of mention in the media has a big impact on our image, relatively speaking. Getting positive mentions like these in BusinessWeek and in yesterday’s press release by ERSI, the geographic … Continue reading
Community leadership development programs contribute greatly to economic and community development. Having an annual class is a requirement to become certified in the Governor’s Tennessee Three-Star (3-Star) Award for Preparedness for Economic & Community Development. Like a lot of small … Continue reading