Community leadership development programs contribute greatly to economic and community development. Having an annual class is a requirement to become certified in the Governor’s Tennessee Three-Star (3-Star) Award for Preparedness for Economic & Community Development. Like a lot of small rural communities, Hickman County has tapped most of those interested and available during the 10-plus years we have been conducting the Leadership Hickman community leadership training and development program. This year, we just didn’t have enough interest to put together the usual class. There are a limited number of folks who have the desire to increase their leadership potential and the ability to participate one day a month for several months normally required. During these economic conditions, the cost of the program also limits our pool of applicants. That is why I have been working for the past several days on modified curriculum for Leadership Hickman. I think that a combination of a few Saturday or evening meetings, a significant online component, and some a’ la carte, self-directed learning would achieve our objective of quality community leadership development. Plus, it would be accessible to more of Hickman County’s citizens — as its time requirements would be more flexible and the cost to participant should be negligible. I hope to have a prototype together this month to see if there is any interest in an updated avenue to continue leadership development in Hickman County.
… it’s probably here somewhere
Daryl Phillips, CEcD, EDFP
I work as an economic developer consulting with communities and companies developing locations, building communities and identifying and developing workforce. However, my opinions on this blog are free and my own, as is the blog itself.
I am a member of International Economic Development Council, Southern Economic Development Council, Tennessee Economic Development Council and International Council of Shopping Centers.
I have earned over 20 years experience in economic and workforce development. I have earned and maintain the designation of Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification from National Development Council. I have earned a Master of Business Administration from Tennessee Technological University.
- TIGER grants replaced by BUILD grants for local/regional transportation infrastructure
- Happy Economic Development Week!
- An update on Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds
- Have your quality in economic development programs recognized by your peers
- Retail Development Event for Tennessee and Kentucky
- How to ask your local government for money to promote rural tourism
- Happy Pi Day!
- 2018 IEDC Excellence in Economic Development Awards
- Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds – Another Economic Tool for Your Community?
- Successful Succession Planning for Business
- Opportunity Funds – A new resource for economic development investment
- Business resiliency and planning for disruption
- Helping businesses connect to customers online
- Have a wonderful life this holiday season!
- Small Business Saturday – Better than Black Friday and Cooler than Cyber Monday (Nov. 25th)
- 2017 Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development
- 2017 IEDC Annual Conference
- Dove hunting season or shooting for tourism growth
- Disaster and Disruption Planning for Communities and Companies
- I put a dollar in a change machine and I didn’t get it
- Workforce development for advanced manufacturing in the Cheatham County region
- Cheatham County May 2017 unemployment rate lowest in nearly 2 decades
- 2017 Tennessee Economic and Community Development Conference
- Tennessee Reconnect: Help for adults to go back to college
- How do you measure your workforce?
- The It’s a Wonderful Life EDO
- Why Invest in Economic Development
- Tennessee Rural Economic Development Conference
- A post with economic development tied to a haiku, it’s true!
- Right turn on LOCAL CITIZENS WHO SUPPORT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STREET