… it’s probably here somewhere
Daryl Phillips, CEcD, EDFP
I work as an economic developer consulting with communities and companies developing locations, building communities and identifying and developing workforce. However, my opinions on this blog are free and my own, as is the blog itself.
I am a member of International Economic Development Council, Southern Economic Development Council, Tennessee Economic Development Council and International Council of Shopping Centers.
I have earned over 20 years experience in economic and workforce development. I have earned and maintain the designation of Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification from National Development Council. I have earned a Master of Business Administration from Tennessee Technological University.
- TIGER grants replaced by BUILD grants for local/regional transportation infrastructure
- Happy Economic Development Week!
- An update on Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds
- Have your quality in economic development programs recognized by your peers
- Retail Development Event for Tennessee and Kentucky
- How to ask your local government for money to promote rural tourism
- Happy Pi Day!
- 2018 IEDC Excellence in Economic Development Awards
- Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds – Another Economic Tool for Your Community?
- Successful Succession Planning for Business
- Opportunity Funds – A new resource for economic development investment
- Business resiliency and planning for disruption
- Helping businesses connect to customers online
- Have a wonderful life this holiday season!
- Small Business Saturday – Better than Black Friday and Cooler than Cyber Monday (Nov. 25th)
- 2017 Tennessee Governor’s Conference on Economic & Community Development
- 2017 IEDC Annual Conference
- Dove hunting season or shooting for tourism growth
- Disaster and Disruption Planning for Communities and Companies
- I put a dollar in a change machine and I didn’t get it
- Workforce development for advanced manufacturing in the Cheatham County region
- Cheatham County May 2017 unemployment rate lowest in nearly 2 decades
- 2017 Tennessee Economic and Community Development Conference
- Tennessee Reconnect: Help for adults to go back to college
- How do you measure your workforce?
- The It’s a Wonderful Life EDO
- Why Invest in Economic Development
- Tennessee Rural Economic Development Conference
- A post with economic development tied to a haiku, it’s true!
- Right turn on LOCAL CITIZENS WHO SUPPORT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STREET
Category Archives: economic development incentives
An update on Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds
The first deadline for designation of Opportunity Zones and Opportunity Funds have passed and the U.S. Department of Treasury has begun evaluating and officially designating Opportunity Zones. You may check out the status of Opportunity Zone designations on an interactive … Continue reading
Opportunity Funds – A new resource for economic development investment
The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act enacted in December 2017 also established what looks like a beneficial tool to attract private capital investment to economically distressed communities. Opportunity Zones and their associated Opportunity Funds were included by Congress in … Continue reading
Cheatham County approves standard business incentives
The Cheatham County Commission approved unanimously an business incentive package developed by the Industrial Development Board of Cheatham County (IDB). Developed with assistance from the Cheatham County Joint Economic & Community Development Board and the Cheatham County Chamber of Commerce, … Continue reading
State of State Business Incentives 2015
The Smart Incentives, Sound Decisions Blog recently reported on an annual update completed by C2ER to its State Business Incentives Database. C2ER researched every state’s and territory’s programs and what was added, repealed or changed during its most recent legislative session. Check out … Continue reading
Economic Development Incentives
International Economic Development Council (IEDC) recently released a report titled, “Incentives for the Twenty-First Century“. The report looks a economic development incentives and what they can accomplish in addition to business attraction. IEDC Board Chair JoAnn Crary, CEcD stated, “When used … Continue reading
Economic Development Education 101
It’s been around awhile, but my basic economic development information website is still current. Whether an elected official, community leader or just interested, a little information on economic development can be beneficial and this is a quick way to get … Continue reading
Local Economic Development Professional is One of the First Graduates of TVA’s Professional Rural Leadership Institute
Daryl Phillips, Executive Director of Hickman County Economic & Community Development Association, Inc. in Centerville, Tennessee recently graduated from TVA’s Rural Leadership Institute. The Rural Leadership Institute, developed and sponsored by TVA Economic Development, provides professional leadership training to rural … Continue reading
Tired of reading about Tennessee economic development? Listen to this:
The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta has a series of economic development podcasts. One of them, “Closing the Deal: Effective Incentives during Fiscal Challenges“, consists of an interview with the former commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Revenue, Reagan Farr, … Continue reading